n a recent move that underscores the importance of community involvement and a dedication to public service, Summit County Democrats have appointed Nina Waters to fill the vacant County Commissioner seat for District 3, following the departure of former Commissioner Josh Blanchard. The appointment was made in accordance with Colorado Law and Party Rules, ensuring a transparent and democratic process.
Nina Waters, a devoted resident of Summit County for the past decade, has demonstrated a profound appreciation for the region’s unique attributes and the challenges it faces. Her tenure in Summit County has provided her with invaluable insights into the needs and aspirations of fellow residents, qualities that she believes are vital for effective representation.
A Record of Community Service
Nina’s commitment to community service is exemplified by her involvement in various organizations and special interest groups. As an active member of the Silverthorne Art Board, she has witnessed the transformative power of the arts in enriching the county’s culture and sense of belonging. One notable accomplishment that highlights her leadership and ability to see projects through to completion is the successful establishment of the Silverthorne Art Spot, a long-desired need in the northern part of the county.
Through meticulous planning and collaboration with the Town of Silverthorne staff, Nina and the Art Board secured funding from state and local entities, ensuring the realization of this vital community asset. The Silverthorne Art Spot is now a reality, open and accessible to residents, aspiring artists, and art enthusiasts alike. This accomplishment showcases Nina’s leadership skills, her ability to navigate complex processes, and her determination to make meaningful contributions that enhance the quality of life in Summit County.
Dedication to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
In addition to her community involvement, Nina’s ten-year membership within the Democratic party demonstrates her alignment with its values and principles, including a strong commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI). Her work in DEI has equipped her with the skills to foster an inclusive and welcoming environment, where diverse voices are heard and respected. She believes that these principles are critical in managing county staff and collaborating with experts from various fields. Effective leadership in the realm of DEI not only promotes fairness but also leads to more innovative and equitable solutions for the community’s challenges.
A Unique Perspective on Environmental Issues
Nina’s current work as a raft and outdoor guide uniquely positions her to speak on matters related to water and air quality, issues of utmost importance in Summit County. As a headwaters community, it’s vital that someone who can eloquently advocate on behalf of the county is in office. Commissioner Blanchard made significant strides in this work, and Nina aims to carry on that mission.
Addressing Community Concerns
Nina Waters is eager to contribute her passion, expertise, and commitment to Summit County’s continued success. She has identified several pressing concerns that impact residents and intends to address them with vigor:
- Short Term Rentals: Nina aims to find a balance between the economic benefits of short-term rentals and their impact on housing affordability and neighborhood integrity.
- Affordable Childcare: She is committed to finding solutions for affordable and accessible childcare options for families in Summit County.
- Healthcare Accessibility: Improving access to quality physical and mental healthcare for all residents is a priority, including addressing disparities and promoting overall well-being.
- Disaster/Emergency Preparedness & Public Safety: Ensuring the county is well-prepared for emergencies and natural disasters is crucial for the long-term safety and well-being of residents. Collaborating with the county sheriff’s department to prioritize public safety through effective law enforcement, emergency response, and community engagement is also on her agenda.
- Accountability and Transparency: Nina is dedicated to promoting accountability and transparency in local government to build trust among residents.
- Strong, Empathetic, and Energetic Leadership for County Staff: She recognizes the importance of providing leadership that inspires and supports county staff in their dedication to public service.
Nina Waters’ appointment as County Commissioner reflects Summit County Democrats’ commitment to selecting individuals with a deep-rooted connection to the community and a track record of positive contributions. Her diverse skill set, dedication to inclusivity, and passion for the region make her a promising addition to the county’s leadership team. We look forward to seeing the positive impact she will undoubtedly bring to District 3 and Summit County as a whole.